Saturday, March 16, 2013

As The World Turns....

Remember that old soap opera?  It was retired in 2010 as the second longest running soap opera.  Not that I am a fan of soaps, but it seemed an appropriate title for my life this past two or three years. Ever changing and always dramatic.  I really dislike drama.  I have just a bit more to go I think and then maybe life will settle down for me.  Hopefully then, I can post here more regularly.

I started this blog because I wanted to travel and live in my little van.  I still do, but with rising gas prices and a steadily declining economy.. I don't think that is going to be an option. So on to plan B.  Adaptability is the catch word for my life.  I still want to live more simply.  I still don't think I need that 1700 sq ft house that I only lived in 200 sq ft of.  And I still don't need a bunch of possession that own me.  Yes... truly .... you do not own stuff.. it owns you.  You have to wash it... house it... protect it.  All of that energy just to say you own it.  After almost two years of dealing with the estates of my uncle and mother..... I am sick of stuff. 

But I digress, back to explaining plan B.  After much refection on what to do with myself in my declining years. I knew I just wanted to be where I would not be told what to do and when to do it. And all I needed to live in was a travel trailer.  To start I found a 36 foot travel trailer with a slide.  This gives me 330 sq foot of living space. Plenty for me! Next I needed somewhere to put this thing.  No, I'm really am not social enough to live in an RV hell (resort).  So some unrestricted rural property was what I started looking for. Even the large state of Texas, UNRESTRICTED small acreage is not easy to find.  I can live anywhere, but If I am going to be stationary, I did not want to leave Texas.  I also did not want the humidity of south Texas or the extreme heat of west Texas, so with my boundaries set at the northeastern quarter of Texas I started looking and looking and looking. You get my point. After months of searching, traveling to view and researching property history,  I finally found a home for the travel trailer. The horror stories I could tell about some of the properties I viewed could make it's own blog.  Let just say I know where there is some swamp land for sale.

The property I found is 1.52 acres.... a bit more than I needed but it fit most of my other criteria.  It is only 5 miles from a grocery store. I looked at one property that was 20 miles from the nearest gas station.  That one was a bit too rural.  This place had been a homestead at one time before so most of the infrastructure was in place or could be brought back into use.  It did not require any clearing.  The towns population is around 4500, But if I need the convenience of city life there is a large one 22 miles away.  The price was reasonable.  I spent some time in the town before I bought the property and found the people to be friendly and helpful.  After 8 months that has not seemed to change

So I guess my blog is now going to be about homesteading in an travel trailer.  In honor of my uncle I have decided to call the place "Randy's Ranch"  If he were alive now he would have been rubbing his hand together and planing which corner would be his.  I think he would have liked this place.

4 comments:

  1. West Texas is hot in summer but since the humidity is so low it usually cools off below 70F by sunrise the next day.

    Eastern Oklahoma in the Cherokee territory had some cheaper land a few years ago if you can live off the blacktop. -might be too far out.

    What will you grow on 1.52? Garden? There's lots of options here -Congrats on your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob... later I will do some sq foot gardening. I already can and dehydrate. It's funny though right now I live on the front 1/2 acre and let the back take care of it's self. Still of lots to do to the property before I can get to the gardening though.

    I have lived in west Texas up around Dumas but I like the trees and vegetation of northeastern Texas better. Oklahoma is pretty but I prefer a state with no state income tax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know Dumas! i was 11 years in Amarillo...the wind out there is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to find this post. I had been thinking about you and wondering if you were doing OK. Glad to know you have found your own little corner of the world. We do squarefoot gardening in a planter. Take Care

    ReplyDelete